#GivingTuesday 2015 is Tuesday, December 1st and its slated to be the biggest giving year yet!
The Rise of #GivingTuesday
Now in its fourth year, #GivingTuesday is observed on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving and the infamous retail shopping days: Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
#GivingTuesday 2014 participants used the power of social media and other digital marketing tactics to impact their communities and raise over $45 million for nonprofits around the world! (Psst: That’s a 60% increase from the previous year.) Bonus: over 750K #GivingTuesday tweets were shared last year.
If you manage a nonprofit (or champion a favorite cause), it’s time to plan your strategy to mobilize your donor base and make the most of #GivingTuesday 2015.
Email Marketing Best Practices for Nonprofits
Nonprofits can maximize the effectiveness of their Giving Tuesday campaigns by leveraging some proven email marketing strategies. Think of your email marketing education as peeling back the layers of an onion:
On the first layer, you need to lay a solid foundation. If you’re new to email marketing or unsure if you’re being as effective as possible, explore the email marketing best practices section of our blog. You’ll find everything you need to know about growing your email audience, creating engaging content, designing campaigns and more.
Going a layer deeper, there are specific best practices for nonprofits that should always be used:
1. Tell a good story – Use the power of storytelling to share about your purpose, the people you serve and why people support you.
2. Explain what their donation will be spent on – Help readers understand the specifics of what their donation can d0.
3. Provide at least 3 prompts to give in each email – For example, include a button, text link, and graphic in the same email that promote the same call-to-action.
4. Give them the option to NOT donate – While it may sound counter intuitive to include the words “the choice is yours” and give readers the option not to donate, there’s pretty compelling evidence that it works.
#GivingTuesday Email Campaigns that Work
Start early & complement Cyber Monday.
Americans will be on the lookout for emails promoting Cyber Monday, so capture and redirect that attention to your #GivingTuesday campaign. (Hint: Develop your campaign before Cyber Monday – November 30, 2015.) Focus your campaign on promoting a theme, such as:
- #GivingTuesday itself (“With all the great deals and gift-buying today, don’t forget to give the greatest gift of all. Here’s how you can help…”
- Merchandise from your online store (build awareness for the items you offer and how their sales support your cause
- Virtual gifts ($25 feeds a family of four for one week)
Encourage non-monetary donations, too.
In your email campaigns, explain how supporters can give support in preparation for Giving Tuesday:
- Spread the word about your cause through social media. Empower your followers to share your content by creating things they want to share!
- Before Giving Tuesday, ask if their employer offers matching donations and ask friends if their companies do the same.
- Sign up to volunteer for your next big project or event. (Be sure to include the important details.)
- Share why they gave last year. Then you can post their stories on Facebook and your blog, and tweet about it!
- Ask their friends and family for donations to your cause in lieu of receiving holiday gifts. Make an easy-to-forward note that they can share on Facebook or via email. Sweeten the experience by offering a forwardable notification that a gift was given on Giving Tuesday to honor someone.
Use the Right Tools in Your #GivingTuesday Campaign
According to CauseVox, #GivingTuesday was mentioned three times more on Twitter than on any other social channel last year. Be sure to use the official hashtag: #GivingTuesday on all of your related tweets and encourage your donors to do the same! Doing so can help word spread quickly about your campaign and enable you to reach a new, expanded audience.
Visit GivingTuesday.org to register as an official #GivingTuesday partner, subscribe to their newsletter for more tips, and use their media library and tool kits for creating successful campaigns (you’ll even find a sample outreach email).
Sendinblue Coupon Code
Ready to create your #GivingTuesday email campaign?
Signup for a free Sendinblue account and you can use the coupon code below to receive 20% off any upgraded email plan over $10 per month! It’s valid now through December 31, 2015.
(Note: this coupon code is case sensitive and is not valid for SMS credits or white label plans.)
Check our blog regularly for more nonprofit email marketing tips!