Sending mass email in Outlook is possible – but not without its limits. Find out how to do it and learn why using an email marketing service is the far more advantageous option.
Mass email refers to the sending of a single message by email to a large number of contacts.
While we strongly recommend using segmentation techniques to generate personalized messages, you may still need to send a mass email every now and then.
If you’re wondering how to use Outlook for mass emails, here’s one possible method.
Send mass email with Outlook in 6 easy steps
Outlook lets you send mass emails to your contacts using Microsoft Word.
- Open Word and write your email
- In Word, open the Mailings ribbon
- Click on the Start Mail Merge menu, then on E-Mail Messages in the drop-down menu
- Click Select Recipients and choose from three options: 1) Type a New List where you will manually enter contacts’ data into a new dialog box, 2) Use an Existing List which lets you select a .csv (Excel) file from your computer. The .csv file would need to have been prepared in advance with data organized under three columns (First Name, Last Name, Email Address) or 3) Choose from Outlook Contacts. Manually select the addresses among your existing Outlook contacts
- Once the recipients have been selected, click Finish & Merge then Send Email Messages.
- In the Merge to E-mail pop-up box, write the email subject line and then click Ok.
Easy, right? Now let’s talk about the disadvantages of sending mass email campaigns with Outlook.
Why you shouldn’t send mass emails in Outlook
Unlike dedicated email marketing services, Outlook isn’t designed for sending mass emails. Use it for this purpose and you’ll be quickly frustrated by the following factors:
- A daily email limit: Like most Internet Service Providers (ISPs), Outlook limits the number of emails you can send per day to 300
- Absence of email design features such as email templates and coding resources
- No reporting or analytics features to see how campaigns perform
- Mass emails sent from an ISP (Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) are often flagged as spam by both other ISPs and email recipients. Because webmail is designed for personal use, this activity is considered suspicious.
- Higher chances of your mail server IP address getting put on a blacklist which means it’ll be rejected by all other servers
Why it’s better to send mass emails with an email marketing service
Email marketing remains the most profitable marketing channel, boasting an ROI of $32 for every $1 spent. To leverage that kind of ROI, you need to invest in a dedicated email marketing service like Sendinblue because Outlook alone simply won’t cut it.
There are many such providers on the market offering a range of different features at varying price points. To find the best one for you, check out our email marketing service comparison guide here.
Here are some examples of things you can do with Sendinblue that you simply can’t with Outlook.
Avoid email blacklists
Sendinblue works to protect sender reputations and ensure customers avoid getting blacklisted.
New accounts are put through strict validation processes to guarantee optimal security and deliverability for everyone using Sendinblue’s shared IP addresses.
A shared IP address is one that’s shared by several users. It’s a cheaper option for companies sending low volumes of email but the risk is that it only takes one user to compromise an IP’s sender reputation for everyone. You’ll have peace of mind in knowing that Sendinblue works hard to protect its shared IP addresses (which is not the case for all email marketing services).
For companies with large email lists, Sendinblue offers a dedicated IP address which gives complete control over sender reputation.
Take the stress out of GDPR compliance
Navigating the GDPR (an EU law dictating how personal data can be collected and used) for the first time can be confusing. How can you be sure that your email and list-building practices are lawful?
Sendinblue has data security and privacy features to ensure your subscriber’s data is collected and used respectfully.
Sendinblue includes an unsubscribe option in all emails and only lets you upload opt-in contacts (those who have given you their permission to be contacted by email). To acquire this consent, you can create customized email subscription forms.
The platform is essentially set up in such a way that GDPR compliance becomes the default. This way you can concentrate on growing your business safe in the knowledge that your subscribers’ data is being managed lawfully.
Create professional looking emails that match your brand
We know how difficult it can be to design emails from scratch without the necessary skills in graphic design, HTML or CSS.
One of the major advantages of an email marketing service is that it provides the resources to quickly create beautifully designed mobile-optimized emails.
Having clean, well-designed emails that reflect your brand will help catch readers’ attention and increase conversions.
Save time on list management
Manually adding new subscribers and removing those who’ve asked to be taken off your list can take up a LOT of time.
Keeping track of email contacts is easy with Sendinblue. Unsubscribers are automatically removed from lists while opt-ins are added.
You also can set up marketing automation workflows that move contacts to certain lists once they fulfill specific conditions.
Further reading: 4 Reason why you need an Email Marketing Service for your SMB
Don’t risk sending mass email in Outlook – try Sendinblue instead!
Looking for an alternative to Outlook for sending mass emails?
The free version of the software includes all the platform’s core features including:
- Drag and drop responsive email design tool
- Email template library
- Unlimited contacts and advanced segmentation
- Email opt-in forms that can be integrated into your site
- Email automation
- Email campaign analytics
If your lists grow at a quicker rate than expected, you can always upgrade to one of our paid plans starting at $25 for up to 40k emails/month.
For more content like this, sign up to our monthly newsletter or follow us on Twitter!
Content Marketing Specialist @ Sendinblue. A Modern Languages graduate turned B2B tech marketer, I’m on a mission to bring helpful digital marketing tips and advice to SMBs. Interests include startups, Gaelic football, and good French wine. 😉